Sunday, June 24, 2007

What's Really Important - True Love and True Relationships

Keep Asking Yourself, "What's Really Important?" By Richard Carlson
It's easy to get lost and overwhelmed in the chaos, responsibilities, and goals of life. Once overwhelmed, it's tempting to forget about and postpone that which is most near and dear to your heart. I've found that it's helpful to keep asking myself, "What's really important?"
As part of my early morning routine, I take a few seconds to ask myself this question. Reminding myself of what's really important helps me keep my priorities straight. It reminds me that, despite my multitude of responsibilities, I have a choice of what is most important in my life and where I put my greatest amount of energy...
Despite the appearance of being overly simplistic, I have found this strategy to be immensely helpful in keeping me on track. When I take a few moments to remind myself of what's really important, I find that I'm more present-moment oriented, in less of a hurry, and that being right loses its appeal. Conversely, when I forget to remind myself of what's really important, I find that I can quickly lose sight of my priorities and, once again, get lost in my own busy-ness. I'll rush out the door, work late....and do other things that are in conflict with the goals of my life.
If you regularly take a minute to check in with yourself, to ask yourself, "What's really important?" you may find that some of the choices you are making are in conflict with your own stated goals. This strategy can help you align your actions with more conscious, loving decisions.
True Love and True Relationships By Unknown Observers
We love those for whom we happily labor, and we happily labor for those whom we love.
Love is the active care and concern for the life, growth and happiness of the ones we love... Care and concern imply another aspect of love; that of responsibility.
Responsibility in its true sense is an entirely voluntary act; it is our response to the needs, expressed or unexpressed, of another human being. Love is the condition which exists when the welfare, well-being and happiness of another human being is almost as important to us as our own welfare, well-being and happiness. This is the true meaning of the word Love
Happy relationships aren't the result to luck. A relationship has to be a constant evolution. Though we each remain as separate, distinct entities, while once we were two, not we are three. The two of us as individuals, and the union which our relationship now forms. In this respect, our love makes us one.
There is, of course, a difference between being 'in love' with someone and truly 'loving' them. Being 'in love' is something we do for ourselves, while 'loving' is something we do for the other person. To love another person, we must really care for them and encourage them in their own personal growth, whatever their direction.
A relationship isn't something we have, it's something we do. It's about attentiveness, anticipating our partner's need and what they like. If we want them to try to fill our life with a little warmth and love, then we have to do that for them. We can't just be takers, we have to be givers, too.
The most important sphere of giving is not that of material things, but lies in the specifically human realm. What can we give to each other?
We can give of ourselves, of our lives. This doesn't not mean that we sacrifice our life for the other - but that we give that which is alive in us; we give of our joy, of our interest, of our understanding, of our knowledge, of our humor, of our sadness, and of all the expressions of that which is alive in us....giving implies to make the other person a giver also and we shall both share in the Joy of the Love that we have brought to Life. This is the meaning of a True Relationship...

No comments: